Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Write Everything Down

When you are a writer, it is very important to get your ideas out of your head as soon as they arise. If you don't, they tend to bounce around like children riding unsupervised bumper-cars and soon there's a crying child in your head who's complaining they got hit too hard and are now suing for whiplash related injuries.

Hold on . . . let me try that again.

You need to write your ideas down or risk having an over-active mind with too many ideas. These ideas, no matter how predominant they may seem at the time, will eventually clash together in a huge mix of words and phrases that will no longer make sense when you look back on them.

All you will remember is the fact you had to remember something. And when you look around your head to see what it is you were trying so hard not to forget, you'll just find this:

Word vomit is the term

Your only options are to play mental scrabble for the next few minutes or just give up and hope the words will rearrange when you least expect it.

I don't know why I keep telling myself that 'I'll definitely remember this' because I definitely NEVER do. I even have a t-shirt telling me this and I still never write things down.

UNTIL NOW!

I got a sick of always forgetting new story ideas or dialogue that I would come up with under the strangest circumstances (also university related notes, which are equally as important) and started carrying around a notebook. I kind of feel like an old-timey journalist who flips open a pad and pulls out a pencil from behind his ear yelling "What's the scoop, doll-face?!"

So now I possess a large stack of small notebooks all containing various phrases and inspiration. I went through one from early this year today and realised it was full of song lyrics. Really random songs too. Like Karla DeVito's We Are Not Alone, the one from The Breakfast Club.

I really hope I had just watched that movie, else the alternatives are really strange.

It also contained a large population of weird looking undersea creatures. Weird things like sharks playing badminton and starfish ninjas who were throwing each other at a seahorse. While I was probably thinking "This would be a fun idea for a cartoon" at the time, looking back I'm immensely curious as to what I was doing to prompt such undersea shenanigans.

Although I now understand two things:

1) I am further over the line of Sanity than I first thought and
2) Taking notes is really helpful


No comments:

Post a Comment